Since its inception in 1995, the Columbia Police Department’s Fan the Heat program has assisted more than 7,000 Columbia citizens. The program was established to assist individuals who are most vulnerable to the heat: senior citizens, residents with medical concerns or disabilities and families with young children. Throughout the summer, the department collects fans, air conditioners and financial contributions, specifically to help those in need. These items can be dropped off annually at the following locations:
- CPD Main Headquarters – 1 Justice Square, Columbia, SC 29201
- Metro Region – 1800 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201
- North Region – 3905 Ensor Avenue, Columbia, SC 29203
- Southeast Region – 2132 Devine Street, Columbia, SC 29205 or 446 Spears Creek Church Road, Elgin, SC 29045
- West Region – 690 Club Road, Columbia, SC 29212
Citizens who wish to make a monetary donation can make checks payable to: Columbia Police Foundation (include Fan the Heat program on the memo line)
- Citizens must be 55 years-old or older
- Citizens must provide name, address, telephone number (to ensure that the fan or air conditioner is delivered to the correct address)
- Individuals with respiratory problems or a major illness can bring in a doctor’s statement regardless of age to receive assistance.
- Families with young children
For assistance from the Fan the Heat program, call the Columbia Police Department’s Crime Prevention Unit at 545-3555 or Telephone Response Unit at 545-3500.