On Thursday, August 23, the Columbia Police Department (CPD) and Five Points Association announced a safety initiative designed to serve as a reminder for new and returning college and university students to be responsible in the Five Points entertainment district.
Now that school is back in session for area colleges and universities, students will likely populate Five Points this weekend and for the first home University of South Carolina football game on September 1st. CPD officers will maintain their various routine patrol positions in vehicles and on foot in and around the Five Points area.
For the first time, officers set up a kiosk last night at the old Harper’s Restaurant parking lot located on Harden Street, passing out pamphlets that include the following valuable information:
• Drop-Off / Pick-Up Zone (Taxi * Rideshare * Shuttle) – This service is available Thursday – Saturday from 10:30 p.m. – 3 a.m. during the fall and spring sessions for surrounding college students.
• Five Points Pedestrian Safety
• Prepare & Prevent – Staying Safe in the City
• Welcome to Our Neighborhood! – Code Enforcement
• Safe, Sensible & Responsible Drinking Habits