(Police Officer applicants who are not Certified Police Officers and/or who do not have previous Police Officer experience are considered to be POLICE OFFICER CANDIDATES.)
The City of Columbia Police Department is searching for qualified applicants to fill entry-
All applications for employment as a Police Officer or Police Officer Candidate are completed electronically through the City of Columbia Career Portal site. Click the Apply for a Job button to start the application process.
- Once you’ve completed the electronic application you will receive and email notification as to the status of your application along with further instructions that could include the below listed steps.
- The Columbia Police Department Recruiter will notify the applicant on the available dates to the Nelson Denny Reading Test and the Job-
Related Physical Agility Test (PAT)
- Upon successful completion of this process the applicant will proceed onto the Background Investigation
- Conditional Offer Interview
- Medical Exam (Drug/Alcohol Screening)
- Oral Review Board
- All applicants selected for hire shall be subject to the successful completion of a six (6) month probationary period.
- Upon employment with the City of Columbia Police Department, the new recruit will be required to participate and successfully meet the requirements and standards affixed to each Training Program. Areas of training include, but are not limited to: Columbia Police Department Basic Candidate School (eight weeks) the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy’s Basic Law Enforcement School (twelve weeks) and the Columbia Police Department Field Training Program (Forty-
six Working Days)