The Columbia Police Department Traffic Safety Unit is responsible for conducting vehicle for hire inspections. Every taxicab, limousine and shuttle for hire that is used in the city limits of Columbia is required to be inspected annually.
In addition to annual inspections the Traffic Safety Unit also conducts inspections at their office located at 2638 Two Notch Road, Unit #208, on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM for all new vehicles and any that need to be re inspected. The Traffic Safety conducts these inspections to ensure the safety and integrity of these vehicles that are operating on the roadways within the city limits. For all vehicles for hire the Traffic Safety Unit inspects the following:
- All lights on the exterior of the vehicle to ensure they are in proper working order.
- The cleanliness of the vehicle both on the inside and outside.
- Paint and decal schemes of the vehicles.
- The meters on all cabs to ensure that they are working properly and not over/under charging customers. All vehicles for hire with a meter are driven for one mile to ensure accuracy of the meter. Once accuracy is verified the meter is sealed by the Columbia Police Department.
- Chauffer’s license, driver’s license, registration and insurance to make sure that every vehicle is within compliance of all state laws and city ordinances.
- Vehicle equipment such as parking brakes, windshield wipers, etc.