‘Tis the season for thieves or ‘porch pirates’ to look for crimes of opportunity like stealing delivered packages from your porch or front steps.
Here are a few helpful safety tips:
- Avoid letting packages pile up outside – Remove packages from plain view ASAP
- Ask a trustworthy neighbor to temporarily keep packages for you
- Include special drop off instructions with delivery company
- Try to schedule deliveries when home
- Request ‘notice of delivery’ for your phone or email
- If packages are stolen, contact law enforcement to file an incident report. Also contact the retail company to make consumer arrangements.
- Consider purchasing home security system with video
Last week, CPD officers arrested Robert Belton and charged him with Larceny (Enhanced) after being accused of stealing a package from a porch of a Rosewood Drive home on December 2, 2020.
After receiving a detailed description of the suspect from the victim, officers found Belton soon after the crime with the stolen property. Belton was housed at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.
Also, CPD officers have an active warrant for the arrest of Marvin Henderson for Larceny (Enhanced) after being accused of stealing a package from a porch of a Capitol Place on December 1, 2020.
If you know Henderson’s whereabouts, call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC.